CityHive was jam-packed on August the 11th with over 30 people, both members of the public and community groups. The crowd gathered to “share the goodness” within the community and to promote National Science Week through Goodness Festival 2017.
A whopping 9 community representatives got up and spoke about their local community group. Although each group was more different than the last, they all had one thing in common; something to share about the positive impact their group is having on the communities in and around Geraldton.
- The Arts & Cultural Development Council of Geraldton Inc, otherwise known as ACDC, is a peak arts organisation that supports, facilitates and nurtures the development of a dynamic, diverse and professional arts community.
- Geraldton Dog Rescue showed a heart-warming video featuring some of the dogs they had rescued and rehomed. GDR is run by volunteers and is designed to rehome suitable dogs from the City of Greater Geraldton dog pound. The dogs are then cleaned, taken to the vet and then placed in a “foster home” while waiting for their forever home.
- Hope Community Services is an organisation dedicated to supporting people to successfully and meaningfully participate in life. Hope Spring’s Community Farm in Geraldton offers a holistic, person-centred program for people affected by alcohol and drug misuse.
- Apex Geraldton: The members of the Apex Club of Geraldton are passionate and care about Geraldton being a great community to live in!
- Geraldton Greenough Sunshine Festival 2017 kicks off Sunday the 1st of October 2017 and is an annual event in Geraldton that has 5000 people attending across a range of different activities! It is currently the longest running regional event in WA! The Sunshine Festival has been going for 59 years and is a community run family festival.
- Geraldton Astronomy Group (INC) is a local Astronomy group in Geraldton dedicated to sharing the wonders of the night sky and the universe to everyone.
- Geraldton Community Toy Library: The toys at Geraldton Toy Library are available for loan to curious kids who are looking to have fun. With a membership level to suit your family needs, the Geraldton Toy Library operates similarly to a book library.
- Scinapse – Mid West Science Engagement is a growing voluntary network of more than 70 passionate and expert organisations and individuals who collaborate on science engagement activities. Our vision is to see a strong Midwest community purposefully engaged with science.
The passion and commitment shown on the night by all the representatives of our local community groups was truly inspiring. Geraldton is very lucky to have such influential individuals dedicated to making our community a better place to live in and be a part of.
Pollinators would like to say a massive thank you to all the individuals who “pledged” on the night, the community groups involved and all the amazing attendees. Pollinators raised over $500 which attendees delegated to the community groups they wanted to see receive the donations.
If you want to find out more about Pollinators’ GeroSoup events, or you are keen to participate in the next one, please let us know via (E) email@example.com (P) 9965 5371.